Know your topic
Have a list of sources
- Find a manuscript collection.
- Use an archival finding aid.
- Know exactly what boxes and folders you would like to access.
Make an appointment
- Ask a Librarian to set up an appointment.
- Find out whether your collection is at the Richard J. Daley Library in Chicago or at the Library of the Health Sciences-Chicago.
- Know the hours for Daley Library or the hours for the Library of the Health Sciences-Chicago.
Plan your visit
- Bring your school ID, drivers license or state ID.
- Learn the rules of the reading room.
Archival research takes a long time. Start early on in your project.
- Ask a Librarian before you visit.
- Ask a staff person when you visit.
Remember, we’re here to help you, so don’t be afraid to ask.
Are you a teacher?
If you would like Special Collections and University Archives to give your class a general orientation to the archives, or if you would like to plan a group visit to research the archives, Ask a Librarian.
- Please let us know at least two weeks in advance.
- Space is limited. We can accommodate a maximum of 20 students per visit.
Our reading rooms have special hours
For the most up-to-date information on when we are open, see Daley Library (hours and dates open) and the Library of the Health Sciences-Chicago (hours and days open).