When you see a book you want in the UIC Library Catalog:
- Note the location — which library and the location within that library.
- Record the whole call number.
- Consult a floor plan or call number guide in the library to find out where the book is shelved. In the Daley Library, books you may check out are on the north and south ends of the 3rd and 4th floors: A-BF (3S), BH-HB (3N), HC-PN (4S), PN-Z (4N).
If you can’t find the book on the shelf, Ask a Librarian.
Using the catalog
Check the location and availability of the book you find in the UIC Library Catalog. This tells you:
- the library
- the location within that library
- the call number where the book is shelved
Be sure to note the location of the book — it might be in another UIC library, online or in microforms. If the status is “available” it is not checked out.
Using call numbers
Call number systems are often complex. Do not hesitate to ask a library staff member for help to locate a book on the shelf.
Request an item
If you don’t want to look for a needed book on the shelf, you can log into your library account use the “request item” function. Library staff will retrieve the item and hold it for you at the circulation desk at the UIC library of your choice.