Create an account
Sign up or log in to your legacy Refworks account with your NetID.
Alumni can set up an Alumni RefWorks Account. Learn more about Alumni RefWorks accounts.
Note: RefWorks is offering a new, beta version of Refworks that is still in development. For questions regarding the new 2016 version, please e-mail email@example.com or consult a reference librarian.
There are three ways to import citations into RefWorks:
- Auto Export — many UIC databases have an autoexport function
- Save and Import as a text file — some UIC databases require you save your citation to a file before you import it into RefWorks
- Manually — manually type the reference details
Export to Refworks
Library Catalog and I-Share
- Sign into your RefWorks account.
- From the “Search” tab on the navigation bar at the top of the page, select “Online Catalog or Database”.
- In the next screen, select “University of Illinois – CARLI” if it is not already selected.
- Choose a maximum number of references to download.
- Choose either Quick or Advanced search.
- Enter search terms into the search box and click the “Search” button.
- Select items from the resulting list.
- Click on “Import” to add them to your RefWorks database.
Summon is a tool that searches the Library Catalog and many databases all at once—the Articles search and the Books and Media search on the home page direct you to Summon.
- Select your search results by clicking on the folder icon next to the citation — they will be placed in a temporary folder.
- Click on the folder icon at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose a citation style from the first drop-down menu.
- Choose RefWorks from the second drop-down menu.
- A new screen will open with your RefWorks account — sign in, your references will be automatically imported.
Some databases will let you export citations directly from results pages.
NOTE: Some of our article databases are automatically sending users to the new version of RefWorks when exporting citations. To avoid this issue:
- Log in to your existing RefWorks account in another tab.
- Export from your database.
You can install these through the Tools menu in RefWorks.
Incorporate your citations into your word processor while you write your paper, and generate a bibliography.
From your browser, capture citation information from web pages and import that data into your RefWorks account.
Questions? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or consult a reference librarian.