Create an account
Alumni can set up an Alumni RefWorks Account. Learn more about Alumni RefWorks accounts.
Note: RefWorks is offering a new, beta version of Refworks that isn’t fully supported yet. For questions regarding the new 2016 version, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or consult a reference librarian.
There are three ways to import citations into RefWorks:
- Auto Export — many UIC databases have an autoexport function
- Save and Import as a text file — some UIC databases require you save your citation to a file before you import it into RefWorks
- Manually — manually type the reference details
Export to Refworks
Library Catalog and I-Share
- Sign into your RefWorks account.
- From the “Search” tab on the navigation bar at the top of the page, select “Online Catalog or Database”.
- In the next screen, select “University of Illinois – CARLI” if it is not already selected.
- Choose a maximum number of references to download.
- Choose either Quick or Advanced search.
- Enter search terms into the search box and click the “Search” button.
- Select items from the resulting list.
- Click on “Import” to add them to your RefWorks database.
Summon is a tool that searches the Library Catalog and many databases all at once—the Articles search and the Books and Media search on the home page direct you to Summon.
- Select your search results by clicking on the folder icon next to the citation — they will be placed in a temporary folder.
- Click on the folder icon at the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose a citation style from the first drop-down menu.
- Choose RefWorks from the second drop-down menu.
- A new screen will open with your RefWorks account — sign in, your references will be automatically imported.
Some databases will let you export citations directly from results pages.
NOTE: Some of our article databases are automatically sending users to the new version of RefWorks when exporting citations. To avoid this issue:
- Log in to your existing RefWorks account in another tab.
- Export from your database.
You can install these through the Tools menu in RefWorks.
Incorporate your citations into your word processor while you write your paper, and generate a bibliography.
From your browser, capture citation information from web pages and import that data into your RefWorks account.
- See the Support Center for RefWorks
Questions? E-mail email@example.com or consult a reference librarian.