Mission and Profile
Library Mission Statement
The UIC University Library is central to the intellectual life of the University. The Library supports, enhances, and collaborates in the education, research and service activities of the University by:
- Ensuring that faculty, students, and other users have access to a broad and diversified range of scholarly resources, both through its own rich collection of materials and through its collaborations with other institutions;
- Collecting, organizing, disseminating, and preserving rare and unique scholarly and institutional resources for the use of scholars and researchers worldwide;
- Providing expertise that fosters discovery and collaborative learning;
- Supporting and collaborating with faculty in teaching, research, and practice;
- Instructing students as they pursue learning and research to ensure that they acquire information competencies that will be of value throughout their personal and professional lives;
- Conducting original research that contributes to the overall understanding of library and information science; and
- Engaging in outreach to the community. Through a process of continuous evaluation and improvement, the Library strives to meet the highest standards of excellence in service to the University and the community.
A public research facility, the University Library at the University of Illinois at Chicago serves an urban campus of more than 25,000 students and 11,000 faculty and staff members, as well as the Chicago metropolitan area and the State of Illinois. Today's University Library was born when the University of Illinois Circle campus and the University of Illinois Medical Center merged on what is now known as Consolidation Day, September 1st, 1982, forming the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC).
The Library of the Health Sciences (LHS) evolved from a reading room within the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago in the late 1800s to a freestanding facility at its current location, 1750 West Polk, dedicated in 1974. In 1979, LHS became a Regional Medical Library in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM), serving the ten-state Greater Midwest Region--a designation it still holds today. Since Consolidation Day, LHS has expanded to open branches on corresponding University of Illinois College of Medicine campuses at Rockford, Peoria and Urbana.
LHS is one of the largest health sciences libraries in the nation and continues to support education, research, and clinical practice in the Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Applied Health Sciences, Pharmacy, and the School of Public Health; the UIC Medical Center Hospital and Outpatient Care Center, and other affiliated health care institutions. With more than 725,000 volumes and 5,200 journals, the distinguished collections of LHS include the History of Nursing and Pharmacy Collection, the Kiefer Collection (urology), the Percival Bailey Library (neurology) and the Nyhus Collection (gastroenterology).
The Richard J. Daley Library's roots lie at the Chicago Undergraduate Division, established at Chicago's Navy Pier in 1946 as a branch campus of the University of Illinois. At Navy Pier, the Library supported three divisions, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Commerce and Business Administration and Engineering, on a 247,000-square-foot campus that served 4,000 students. On February 22, 1965, the University of Illinois, Chicago Circle campus opened as the realization of a long-held dream by then Mayor Richard J. Daley to establish a public, degree-granting university within the heart of Chicago. In 1999, what had come to be known as the Main Library at 801 South Morgan on UIC's East Campus was re-named the Richard J. Daley Library in honor of one of its first, and perhaps proudest, patrons.
Today, close to one million visitors enter the Daley Library, the University Library's largest branch. Patrons have access to more than 2.2 million volumes and 30,000 current journal titles, more than half of which are electronic. Daley now serves nine colleges, including Architecture and the Arts, Social Work, and Urban Planning and Public Affairs. Its notable collections include the Jane Addams Memorial Collection, records of the Century of Progress Exposition of 1933-34, and the corporate archives of the Chicago Board of Trade.