Maps and Geographic Information Systems
The Maps section houses a cartographic materials collection of over 179,000 maps, 2,000 atlases, 80,000 aerial photographs, a small collection of map-related reference books, as well as digital data. The Maps department is located on the third floor of the Daley Library.
The Library Catalog is the starting point for your maps research. Reference help is available in the Maps section by appointment. Email LIB-MAPS at UIC dot EDU to schedule an appointment. Requests for access to materials may also be made at this email address.
More information is available on our Resources page.
Cartographic materials are non-circulating and cannot be checked out. Email LIB-MAPS at UIC dot EDU to request access to materials. Appointments for reference assistance may also be made at this email address.
Requested materials are available for use in the maps section during library hours. Requests for materials are limited to 20 items.
Rare and antiquarian maps must be used the the Special Collections reading room.
The Maps section has one of the most comprehensive and publicly available aerial photograph collections for the City of Chicago and its surrounding metropolitan area. The collection primarily documents the Chicago region in the years from the mid-1950s to the early 2000s.
- Aerial Photographs Indices & Guides to Aerial Photos Research
- Our updated guide to aerial photos may take an extended period of time to load. If you experience difficulties, our old "indexes" are still available here.
USGS Map Locator & Downloader: Free downloads of current and historical topographic maps as GeoPDF.
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps are not housed in the Maps Section. Sanborns may be viewed online or on Microfilm. The Microforms Section of the library can be found on the 2nd Floor - North of the Daley Library.
- Sanborn Maps of Illinois, 1867-1970, in CARLI digital collections: You must be affiliated with the university to access off-campus. Visit the Library to access the digital Sanborns on a public terminal.
- How To Sanborn: A quick how-to guide to get you started with the Sanborn Map collection at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Fire Insurance Maps of Chicago: An exhibit on the history of fire insurance maps & Chicago.
Rare and Antiquarian Maps and Atlases
The Special Collections Department at the Daley Library houses selected cartographic materials in both sheet map and atlas format. Nearly all of these are printed rather than manuscript items and were published prior to 1900.
Maps Section exhibitions can be found on our Google Sites page.
Current Exhibits Available Online: