Membership Benefits and Fees
The University of Illinois at Chicago Library's collections, and on-site access to research databases, are open to the public for use within the Library. In addition, members of the public and corporations may become members of the UIC University Library. Membership entitles those not otherwise affiliated with UIC to borrow items from the Richard J. Daley Library and the Library of the Health Sciences in Chicago, Peoria, Rockford, and Urbana.
In the case of corporate memberships, individuals within the corporation are issued membership cards. The Library recommends that membership cards be purchased in the name of the person(s) who will actually come to the Library. Only the person to whom the card is issued may check out library materials.
Membership does not include interlibrary loan privileges, nor do members have off-site access to proprietary databases. Overdue and missing book charges apply when warranted.
UIC Library also offers a fee-based document delivery service.
To become a member please fill out the membership form linked below. The form is also available from the Library's administrative offices. Please print off the form, complete it, and send it to the Library.
As of July 1, 2011, annual fees for membership follow the schedule noted below:
- Individual or one corporate membership: $500
- Corporate (2 memberships): $750
- Corporate (3-5 memberships): $1,250
- Corporate (6-10 memberships): $2,000
- Corporate (11-20 memberships): $2,750
Replacement card cost - $30/card
For any questions, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the appropriate Library's administrative office at the phone numbers provided below:
- Richard J. Daley Library (312) 996-2716
- Library of the Health Sciences - Chicago (312) 996-8974
- Library of the Health Sciences - Peoria (309) 671-8490
- Library of the Health Sciences - Rockford (815) 395-5650
Information for non-UIC members wishing to use the UIC Library
All members of the public may visit and use any of the UIC Library sites. There are a limited number of computers non-UIC-affiliated patrons may use. Patrons with current IDs from organizations with which UIC has reciprocal agreements or from other research institutions can receive temporary guest access to use online resources. There are, however, some databases such as SciFinder Scholar that allow access only to patrons with UIC netids. Please check with Library staff for more information.
Additionally, the Library extends certain borrowing privileges to users from several other institutions. They are as follows:
- Federal, State, County, and City Health Agencies. The Library of the Health Sciences-Chicago has limited in-person borrowing agreements for officials affiliated with the West Side VA Hospital, Illinois State Crime Lab, Illinois State Department of Public Health, Illinois State Racing Board, Cook County Health Department, Cook County Medical Examiners, and the Metropolitan Child and Adolescent Services.
- Peoria Area Health Professionals. Any area health professionals not already affiliated with UIC may request a courtesy card that provides circulation privileges for the LHS-Peoria collection.
- Rockford Area Residents. Any area resident who is 16 years of age or older may apply to borrow materials from LHS-Rockford.
- St. Ignatius College Prep School. Any St. Ignatius faculty member or student may, with appropriate ID, check out books on site. St. Ignatius users may come with an ALA request form in hand and borrow an item from the circulating collection. The user's home institution (St. Ignatius) is ultimately responsible for the return of the material. Loans are for three weeks. Users from St. Ignatius may borrow from the Richard J. Daley library only.
- Whitney Young Magnet High School. Any Whitney Young faculty member or student may, with appropriate ID, check out books on site. Whitney Young users may come with an ALA request form in hand and borrow an item from the circulating collection. The user's home institution (Whitney Young) is ultimately responsible for the return of the material. Loans are for three weeks. Users from Whitney Young may only borrow from the Richard J. Daley library.